Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Tzfat volunteer describes her day

There are many local residents who have stayed in Tzfat. Most are there because of a lack of options, but some, like Judy, chose to return to help where she can. Judy is originally from Oakland CA, and is in her 70s....most of us half her age wish that we had her energy. Judy is connected to the Chabad community.


Yesterday I drove a Chabad teacher to visit one of her students who was eager to see her. The child's family is in Kiryat Sarah and is the only family on the street. We could only stay for 10 minutes because we had to get to the hospital to visit soldiers.

We visited wounded soldiers at the Ziev hospital with Yehudit Rothchild yesterday. Some can't walk yet because of shrapnel in their legs -- the kind that explode into bits. They were eager to have a letter in the sefer Torah with their names and those of their buddies, who were on the front lines. [moderator: through Chabad, a Torah scroll is being written, with individuals offered the chance to "buy" a letter in the scroll -- it is seen as "good luck" to participate in this, or any, mitzva]. A group of six soldiers came to visit one of their soldiers who could barely move his neck, shrapnel in his legs and arms.

A father drove his daughters, singers, from Jerusalem, to sing to the soldiers and children at Ziev hospital and were planning to visit other hospitals as well.
Macolets [small groceries] have been giving food to the needy but no longer can do this. People in Eretz and outside are sending money/don't know if it's sufficient for the sizeable needs.

I plan to deliver food today via Yaffa Smolensky's organization [Lev Neshama].
Noga is afraid for my returning home to sleep. I need my own home. I try to think only about the moment and not about what is happening outside while i am in my home. When I am outside, I ask Hashem and the Rebbe to protect me. My car is needed and there are few cars to deliver what needs to be delivered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home