Wednesday, August 02, 2006

First Lady of Tzfat -- Edyth

[moderator] Edyth Geiger is one of the best-known personalities in Tzfat, both among english-speakers and Israelis. She set up and coordinates the Safed English Library which loans out hundreds of books and magazines weekly -- a library which is run by volunteers (whose tasks are coordinated by Edyth) and whose books, magazines, audio-tapes, videos, and children's section are procurred through those that donors send.
She is also active in collecting for various tzdekka funds in Tzfat, and manages the scholarship fund for Ethiopian students who study in the Tzfat Rivka Zeiv hospital's nursing school. Edyth was named "Yakir Tzfat", "Honored Friend of Tzfat", a few years ago -- this award is given annually to one or two personalities or organizations in Tzfat whose contribution to the city is outstanding. Edyth is in her mid-'80s, originally from Chicago and Miami.

"Half the world, or so it seems, has been in contact with me by email or phone to ask if all is well.

Well, in one sense the answer is "Yes, all is well. I'm here." But, in another sense, all is not well because we are living in a totally nervewracking, unnatural, demoraliziing situation which seems to have increasing ill effects each day.

Our days begin about 5 or 6 a.m. when we crawl out of our makeshift beds in the shelter and attempt to stretch those abused bones and muscles which did not totally relax all night. We turn up the radio (we never close it) and listen if there is any news about Safed or towns close to us.

One has to listen for news because the siren situation is not like it was in London as I recall from second World War. There is no "All Clear" perhaps because how can they know. Sometimes there are the sounds of rockets falling long after the sirens have been silent and other times, there is a second siren to keep you in your shelter...

We have our breakfast and my neighbor even waters the flowers on the porch (and the cactus are in flower).

After I answer messages in the email, I try to pass on some jokes or act as on a normal day - but it comes hard. The underlying tension is awful. My plan daily is to go down before 9 so that people can come to the library - and many have come and are endlessly grateful for material which breaks the boredom of the shelters..

Being handicapped by the cane and the bad hip (well, the substitute one..) I have to plan a day so I won't need to come back upstairs. One issue is always the telephone. Do I leave the upstairs one in its cradle and use the library one? Have to handle this issue in an organized way.

When you hear the thump, bump, thud as I am hearing even while I type this, one wonders if these are our thuds or theirs. And one hopes a siren will warn if some are coming our way.

Yesterday, I managed the one flight of stairs to go up to my neighbor for lunch - but in midswallow, I heard that dreadful siren, put down my fork and made for the door, the stairs and the shelter... Later, my neighbor got our plates and brought them down to the shelter where we finished our meal.

I was finishing a jigsaw puzzle when my son Aryeh and his friend appeared. They drove here from Jerusalem and brought with them a lot of vegetables and fruit purchased en route. They travel the Jordan valley road thru many Arab villages and it's not ideal at night but the usual roads could be even more dangerous now (A man was killed in his car by a ketyusha yesterday).

Time was when I wrote fairly well. I find that my skills have evaporated with the situation.. Sorry about that and hope that withal, I have given a bit of the feel of what goes on... We had the siren 5 times yesterday but all is OK with all whom I know. We finished the jigsaw puzzles and my neighbor just packed up the games and puzzles I found around to give to people for their very bored kids. And we have a new puzzle ready to do and I also soak stamps for the stamp club which hopefully will be reactivated after this mess...

Thanks to everyone for writing or calling. Love, Edyth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home